of 1900, the United States Congress authorized a section of Arlington
National Cemetery to be set aside for the burial of Confederate
dead. The plot is the final resting place of 397 soldiers, 58 wives,
15 southern civilians, and 12 unknowns.
The 32-foot monument was approved by Secretary Of War William Howard
Taft at the request of The United Daughters of the Confederacy on
March 4, 1906. The cornerstone was laid on November 12, 1912 and
the opening ceremony occurred two years later on June 4, 1914.
statue is the largest within Arlington National Cemetery and her
many friezes and inscriptions include 4 cinerary urns, 14 coats
of arms, 6 vignettes, and half a dozen symbolic figures representing
branches of Confederate service.
The massive statue was sculpted by Confederate veteran/sculptor
Moses Ezekial. Moses Ezekial always considered the Confederate Memorial
his greatest achievement and asked for his final resting place to
be at its base. He is buried there with three other officers of
the Civil War.
More detailed information